Take the Lead - Leverage the Advantages of an Ethical Culture
Building an ethical culture can be challenging work. Having one leads to enhanced business performance. Not having one leads to increased risk.
Unethical practices can bubble under the surface until they become serious legal and financial catastrophes, putting the entire organization and its reputation at risk. Leaders are often in the dark about the way ethics and company values are viewed by their employees.
The Center for Ethical Business Cultures and Kenexa, an international survey research consulting firm, have collaboratively created the CEBC Integrity Measurement Program.
This program offers tools to help organizations understand their ethical environments, promote principled organizational practices and maintain their competitive advantages. This program joins CEBC’s organizational ethics expertise with Kenexa’s survey research savvy to create unique, scientifically based ethics measurement tools.
The survey program’s foundation, Kenexa’s High Performance Model, demonstrates that effective leadership practices are linked to employee opinions, customer satisfaction and ultimately business performance. While this model emphasizes the importance of healthy leadership practices and the effect they have on an organization’s performance, studies are beginning to more specifically link ethical cultures with higher profit.
What is the CEBC Integrity Measurement Program?
The CEBC Integrity Measurement Program tools are designed to measure the ethical environment of the organization through the eyes of one of the key business stakeholders ... the employee.
- The CEBC Integrity Survey™ is a 28-question stand-alone employee survey tool used to obtain an in-depth assessment of an organization’s ethical environment.
- The CEBC Integrity QuickCheck™, a subset of the CEBC Integrity Survey, is a 5-question instrument which can be used as a standalone assessment or added to an existing employee survey. It provides a high-level overview of an organizations’s ethical landscape.
These tools are powered by the surveying expertise of Kenexa. Results of the CEBC Integrity Survey and Integrity QuickCheck can be benchmarked against WorkTrends, an annual study and normative database, and can be analyzed using the principles of the Kenexa High Performance Model.
Foundations of the CEBC Integrity Measurement Program
The CEBC Integrity Measurement Program measures five elements of an organization’s culture that, based on nearly three decades of ethics consulting experience, the CEBC has determined to be the building blocks of an ethical work environment.
- Trust, Integrity and Honesty: The cornerstones of an organization’s success and the bases of ethical cultures are trust, integrity and honesty.
- Mission, Vision and Values: Both organizations and individuals need to function with a sense of purpose and a vision for their final destination within a behavioral context. A business’ mission, vision and values provide this clarity.
- Leadership: Leadership is a key factor in creating and sustaining an ethical culture. When senior management exhibits good ethical behavior, employees notice - and follow.
- Stakeholder Commitment: Business leaders need to envision their organization within a network of relationships that includes employees, customers, suppliers, owners/investors, the community and competitors. When a company balances the interests of all its stakeholders, it enhances its reputation for integrity as well as its bottom line.
- Process Integrity: Process integrity means that a company’s values, mission and vision are embedded within its culture and all of its organizational processes. People feel free - even obligated - to do the right thing, even in light of short-term loss. An ethical culture is built and sustained by aligning organizational values and internal organizational processes, including the way a company recruits, hires, trains, educates, compensates, recognizes, rewards, sanctions, promotes and communicates with its employees.
Why use the CEBC Integrity Measurement Program?
The CEBC Integrity Survey and Integrity QuickCheck are proactive tools that help an organization build and maintain an ethical climate that provides the foundation for a healthy and prosperous organization. Through understanding and acting on the ethical baseline and overview provided by these instruments, you give your company a competitive edge.
Employees, customers, shareholders, suppliers, communities - all want to be connected to companies that do the right thing. The CEBC Integrity Measurement Program gives companies an advantage in creating a culture that attracts and retains high-performance employees. Additionally, a culture of integrity builds loyalty among shareholders, customers and suppliers.
With intensified pressure to comply with complicated regulatory and legislative requirements, such as Section 404 of Sarbanes-Oxley, there is an immediate need to ensure ethical behavior is promoted through all levels of an organization. The CEBC Integrity Measurement Program contributes to evidence of the “tone at the top.”